- What is MifosX ?
- The Core Components
- Codebase and Setup Details
- MifosX Mailing Lists
- MifosX Developer and User Meetups
- How can you help MifosX
- Screengrabs of interest from User and Dev Calls
- The very first overview of the (now deprecated) Individual Lending App
- MifosX 2014 RoadMap (User Meet)
- MifosX Platform Introduction (API Walk-through)
- Fixed & Recurring Deposits (starts at 18:20)
- Standing Instructions
- Productive Collection Sheet
- Accrual Accounting
- MifosX Setup on Windows
- Demo Of Charges (User Meet)
- Stretchy Reports Overview (Dev Call)
- Mifos to MifosX Data Migration Tool
What is MifosX ?
Mifos X is a Free and Open Source Micro-Finance platform that represents the next generation of the Mifos suite designed to be faster, lighter, cheaper to change and more responsive to the needs of MFI’s and Integrators
MifosX was an idea born out of a wish to create and deploy technology that allows the microfinance industry to scale. The goal is to:
- Produce a gold standard management information system suitable for microfinance operations
- Acts as the basis of a platform for microfinance
- Open source, owned and driven by member organisations in the community
- Enabling potential for eco-system of providers located near to MFIs
The Core Components
MifosX consists of the following Components
- The Platform (https://github.com/openMF/mifosx) : A Financial Inclusion Platform that encapsulates the complexity that exists in the business and technical domains needed for a Banking System behind a relatively simple API. This API frees up application developers to innovate and produce apps suitable for a variety of Financial inclusion services.
- The Applications: A suite of applications built on top of "The Platform" that cater to a variety of financial Inclusion models including (but not limited to) Individual Lending and Savings, Grameen-style joint-liability groups, cooperatives and SACCOs, self-help groups and federations and village banking. System Integrators are encouraged to extend the existing apps to support the needs of their local Markets
The Platform is basically a Java-based server which contains the business rules, domain logic, talks to databases/backend systems and exposes all MifosX functionality over REST/HTTP/JSON
The API docs are the best place to view a detailed breakdown of what the platform does. See online API Documentation. You can explore the API's using any REST Client like RESTClient for Firefox or POSTMAN for chrome as described in https://demo.openmf.org/api-docs/apiLive.htm#interact
A Design overview of the platform is present at https://demo.openmf.org/architecture/ (also includes a functional Overview, details of the Technology stack, Code Packaging etc)
The platform is deployed on the demo server at https://demo.openmf.org/mifosng-provider/api/v1/. A sample URL for accessing the platform on the demo server is:
https://demo.openmf.org/mifosng-provider/api/v1/clients?fields=id,displayName&tenantIdentifier=default (Credentials: mifos/password)
The Applications (clients) can be Mobile, Web Based or a Desktop based and use any technology of choice. These Clients would talk to the platform using REST/HTTP/JSON and display data as suitable to an MFI – depending on their individual preferences and workflows.
This video by John Woodlock (one half of the Woodlock brothers who are the original developers and the Benovolent Dictators for Life of the MifosX platform) shows the first deliverable of the
Individual Lending application ( Now deprecated in favor of a newer Community App) . The Platform has since evolved significantly and newer Apps have replaced the Individual Lending app used in this screencast.
Screenshot of Community App
Codebase and Setup Details
We use GIthub for hosting our source code
Community App : https://github.com/openMF/community-app (Refer https://github.com/openMF/community-app#mifosx-community-app for setup details)
Data Import Tool: https://github.com/openMF/DataImportTool
Mifos to MifosX Migration Tool: https://github.com/openMF/move-to-mifosx
MifosX UI (old) Client Applications (including the Individual Lending Application): https://github.com/openMF/mifosx-community-apps
MifosX Mailing Lists
You are highly encouraged to sign-up for Mifos mailing lists. This is the place for developers and users of MifosX to share their learnings, experiences, and ask questions to the community. MifosX core contributors are friendly (a few of them even have a sense of humor!) and always ready and willing to help contributors out in these mailing lists. There are two mailing lists. Technical contributors are recommended to join both the lists.
- Developer Mailing List
- MifosX Users Mailing List
Note: You must subscribe to the mailing list using the sourceforge link, and not the google group link. When you join the mailing list, you will get an email. Click on "Reply" and send the email back to get subscribed to the mailing list.
For chatting with the community members on IRC channel, and to understand emailing etiquette for the mailing lists, please refer: http://mifos.org/community/communications
MifosX Developer and User Meetups
The User and developer community meets of every alternate Thursday.
Register for the User Meets at 03.20.2014 User Meetup
Register for Developer Meetings at 2014 Mifos X Developer Meetings
How can you help MifosX
We currently use JIRA to create issues and track work items going on in the project so its transparent and visible to all. If you are a newbie developer, and want to pick up relatively simpler work items to get familiar with MifosX, then you can browse through Work Items labelled as "Introductory".
JIRA Issue Repository: https://mifosforge.jira.com/browse/MIFOSX
Platform Issues Marked as Introductory: https://mifosforge.jira.com/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20MIFOSX%20AND%20labels%20%3D%20Introductory%20AND%20status%20%3D%20Open
Project release roadmap on Jira: https://mifosforge.jira.com/browse/MIFOSX#selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project%3Aroadmap-panel
More Details of how you can Help MifosX can be found at How can you help MifosX?
If you intend on using JIRA to collaborate on the project you should do the following:
- You will need to create an account in JIRA to sign-up or comment on issues. - https://mifosforge.jira.com/login
- Please note that you browse only in the MIFOSX project, and not MIFOS (which was the older platform, prior to MIFOSX).
Use Planning view
The planning view is available at https://mifosforge.jira.com/secure/RapidBoard.jspa?rapidView=2&view=planning
The above planning view shows you the active 'sprints' or 'iterations' in progress by project development team. It also shows you a backlog of items which have not yet been committed to 'sprint'. We use the 'Epics' on the left to associated issues with a praticular 'theme' that means something to the project stakeholders and should closely align with any product roadmap.
To create an Issue, you just use that big 'Create Issue' button on top menu. By default it should load with some default fields.
If you use the 'Configure Fields' option and select 'Custom' - The fields that we would expect someone to enter for now are shown in screen shot below.
Project: Leave this as Mifos X
Issue Type: Choose most appropriate type, if new feature, choose story, if bug choose bug, if a suggested improvement over existing cabability, choose improvement.
Summary: One liner that describes issue
Components: Its ok to leave this blank, once we understand the issue we will probably associated with area of platform such as loans, savings etc
Description: A more complete description of the issue - Its ok to leave this short if you intend to communicate with us furhter on the issue and we can update at later stage.
Labels: We use labels sometimes to help with organisation of issues - A third-party for instance collaborating with us might create a number of issues an associate a lable with each issue they create e.g. musoni-lite, hugotechnologies, mfi-name etc
Any issues created will automatically go into our 'backlog' - through further communication and planning we will bring in these issues into dedicated sprints/iterations.
Screengrabs of interest from User and Dev Calls
The very first overview of the (now deprecated) Individual Lending App
MifosX 2014 RoadMap (User Meet)
MifosX Platform Introduction (API Walk-through)
Fixed & Recurring Deposits (starts at 18:20)
Productive Collection Sheet
MifosX Setup on Windows
Demo Of Charges (User Meet)
Stretchy Reports Overview (Dev Call)
Mifos to MifosX Data Migration Tool