What is Data Import Tool?
- Data Import Tool is a Microsoft Excel-based tool created to import data into the Mifos X platform.
- Using this tool, one can download Excel sheets, enter all the required information in the Excel sheet itself and upload it.
- One can enter multiple clients, groups and centers information in the Excel sheets downloaded as a separate sheet for each category.
- Similarly, one can enter information about multiple loan accounts and savings accounts given to the customers.
- If the Excel sheet is uploaded successfully, the updated information will be shown instantly on Mifos X.
Data Import Tool vs. Data Migration Tool
- Data Import Tool allows you to transfer data and perform load operations between a database and external files (like Microsoft Excel sheets).
- Importing data can be done in different file formats.
- Data Migration Tool allows users to transfer data from Mifos 2.x to Mifos X.
- Data Migration Tool uses ETL (Extract Transfer Load) for database operations.
What You Can’t Do Using Data Import Tool
- You can’t create offices and employees.
- You can’t define currencies and funds.
- You can’t create loan products, savings products, and their respective charges.
- You can’t create users and set them definite roles and permissions.
- Data table inputs cannot be captured.
- You cannot update client details.
- You cannot enter loans in partial state.
HOWEVER, the Data Import Tool allows you to perform all the operations listed above.
Then, why do we need the Data Import Tool?
- You can enter information about thousands of clients in a Microsoft Excel sheet, and once you upload it successfully, It is as good as creating thousands of clients in one-shot (saves time and improves efficiency).
- Similarly, you can assign loan accounts and saving accounts to thousands of clients at once.
- You can do repayments for loans and deposits, withdrawals for savings as bulk using Data Import Tool.
- You can approve loans and disburse with dates for a number of loans given to the clients.
- Your Mifos X username and password mentioned in dataimport.properties file can be seen by unauthorized users.
- You need to keep the file either hidden or password protected so that only authorized users can access the file.